UX and Design Lead
Africa is on the cusp of an economic revolution. While Internet- and banking-penetration have come late to Africa, a youth-driven tidal wave of change is sweeping across the continent. As a result, both global businesses and local champions are in a race to unlock its potential.
In partnership with Rapyd, the fastest growing Fintech-as-a-Service platform, and Multichoice, the largest entertainment platform on the African continent, we are building a payments platform that is capable of meeting the ambitions of the next generation.
This is truly the Moment for Africa.
We are looking for a dynamic, high impact User Experience Designer across our Mobile and Web Applications as we deliver Africa’s broadest and deepest payments platform and provide services to enterprises, consumers, and small businesses across all aspects of their lives – including payments, entertainment, eCommerce, digital goods, financial services, and communications.
This Design Lead will be responsible for deeply understanding the nuances of our target customers, designing highly functional applications that connect with the aspirations of Africans and help people and communities grow and prosper, and then working closely with the Product and Engineering teams to deliver and iterate on these solutions.
- Serve as the first design professional on the team, owning all aspects of developing the UX research, design system, wireframing, and visual design
- Develop a compelling brand voice that speaks to the unique aspirations of Africa, partnering actively with agencies and other partners
- Implement an iterative user research program that enables us to start fast and smart, and grow insights over time, including interviews, experiment design, and testing, and other methodologies
- Create wireframes, storyboards, user flows, and mock-ups to effectively communicate interaction and design ideas, developing internal alignment and advocacy for concepts and direction
- Develop UI/UX prototypes and designs that are creative and functional in Figma, XD, or Sketch
- Work closely with Product and Engineering teams to design and build compelling experiences for our users
- Provide day-to-day design oversight of the product during the development process, and actively test and learn with users as features deploy to ensure their needs are met
- Drive post-launch retrospectives, external and internal process improvements
- At least 5 years of experience designing consumer and SMB-facing applications
- Exceptional visual design and branding skills, and a desire to create a compelling voice for Africa
- Strong UX research and user behavior analysis experience in relevant domains, including Super-App, eWallet, Gig Economy, eCommerce, and Financial Services
- Experience in conducting, collecting, and analyzing user interviews, surveys, and online experiments to discover and validate user needs
- Experience in design analytics, including test design and monitoring of KPIs
- Experience implementing design methodologies and UX from scratch in new applications
- A strong online portfolio you can share to explain previous design challenges and solutions – Must!
- Experience designing and implementing “super-apps”, eWallets, gig economy, or agent apps with a strong payments element
- Well-developed UX and design skills, including the use of strong visual branding elements
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Factors or another relevant design discipline, or an equivalent degree and relevant professional experience
- Lived, worked, or studied in – or simply have a passion for – Africa