Africa is on the cusp of an economic revolution. While Internet- and banking-penetration have come late to Africa, a youth-driven tidal wave of change is sweeping across the continent. As a result, both global businesses and local champions are in a race to unlock its potential.
In partnership with Rapyd, the fastest growing Fintech-as-a-Service platform and Multichoice, the largest entertainment platform on the African continent, we are building the payments platform that is capable of meeting the ambitions of the next generation.
This is truly the Moment for Africa.
We are building the core engineering team that will build the payment network for Africa in Dubai. We are looking for dynamic, impactful, and *hands-on* leaders to scale our network and platform across our top-priority African markets.
The Engineering Director will serve as the senior technologist at this stage of our growth, and will be accountable for all major technology decisions.
As the Engineering Director, you will be responsible for driving the growth and scale of our network and all applications.
- Serving as the senior technologist and de facto senior architect for the network and platforms supporting our growth into Africa
- Managing engineering leads who are accountable for each of the scrum teams, responsible for payment integration, back end services, and application development
- Being responsible for technology oversight and governance of the product and platform end to end – ensuring industry best practices are met, and teammates have the skills they need to excel
- Working closely with the CEO, senior management, and product leaders to ensure alignment and execution of key strategic priorities, while owning the long- and short-term tech roadmaps
- Defining a highly resilient architecture that can ensure world class stability and service delivery, leveraging AWS
- Defining a highly secure environment that meets our privacy and fiduciary obligations, and meets PCI-DSS requirements and certification, in collaboration with Rapyd IT Security team
- Operating in a dynamic environment which provides the ability to learn, recommend, and implement new technologies
- At least 10+ years’ experience in a relevant software engineering domain
- At least 6 years in a senior engineering role, with proven leadership capabilities and management track-record
- Demonstrated experience delivering scalable online payments solutions, both developing new solutions, and integrating best in class payment platforms built by others
- Strong integration experience in online payments, and ideally a “Super-App”, eWallet, eCommercie, or Gig Economy platform business
- Experience working on solutions for a super-regional or a global audience where scale, flexibility, and performance matter
- Experience with:
- Highly scalable Server-side solutions
- SQL and NoSQL
- Jira / Confluence
- Fully cloud-based architecture (AWS preferred)
- Strong Agile development and coaching skills; proven experience hiring and building Agile teams
- Bachelor’s Degree required in Computer Science or another relevant Engineering discipline
- Lived, worked or studied in – or simply have a passion for – Africa